Episode 39: Relationship dishonesty: is it a big deal to lie to your partner?
Lying is a big topic when it comes to love because when we ask ourselves what’s most important in a relationship, honesty is usually near the top of the list. When we’re dating, we can spend a lot of time discerning whether or not someone is lying to us in our relationships. And, discovering a partner has lied can end a long-term relationship in seconds.
But have you ever stopped to wonder why people lie? I’m going to be the bearer of bad news and tell you that everyone lies. (Yes, even you!) Some people simply lie more than others.
And if I were to say lying is usually a sweetheart message, you would probably think I am crazy and have no idea what I am talking about. So instead, we’re going to let an expert lie detective explain it all.
Freud says, “...no mortal can keep a secret. If his lips are silent, he chatters with his fingertips…”
This week in the Love Shack, our special guest and lie detective is Mike Gorday MA, who happens to have a master’s degree in Forensic Psychology backed by over twenty years of experience working in the psychology field, assisting those in the addiction, mental health, and disability areas. In addition, he has specialized training and certifications in facial expressions and muscle movement (FACS), hypnosis, and body language which gives him additional insight into what drives our behavior.
In this episode, we're covering several key topics about relationship dishonesty and whether or not it’s a big deal to lie in your relationship, including:
- Why do we lie? What do we gain from it?
- How do you know when someone is lying especially when they are insistent they are telling the truth?
- What’s the best way to handle a liar?
- What do you do if you find yourself needing to admit you’ve lied and clean up a mess you’ve made by lying?
- How does lying affect our relationships? How big of a deal is it?
Have questions about love and relationships? Leave a message for us here: stacibartley.com/message
Links mentioned in show:
- Learn more about Mike here: http://www.mikegorday.com/
- Listen to his podcasts: What Drives You http://www.whatdrivesyou.net and Tech Time Radio www.techtimeradio.com
- Ready to restart your relationship? Join us!
- Relationship Check-up - tired of re-hashing your issues with your partner without making progress? Schedule your check-up today!
- Get on the fun list here.
- Check out our Love Shack Live Playlist for all the songs we play on the show.